Mar 06, 2023
Family and Social Services
Minwaashin Lodge - Indigenous Women’s Support Centre is a non-profit charitable agency serving First Nations, Métis, and Inuit women, youth and children. We are a multi-service agency committed to the healing and wellness of our community. We provide culturally specific programming for children, youth, women, and families.
Position reports to: Shelter Director, Oshki Kizis Lodge
Location: Oshki Kizis Lodge
Work Conditions: High Risk
Closing date: Until filled
Start Date: Immediately
Salary: Salary to commensurate with experience and qualifications
The primary responsibility of the STORM/HT Outreach Worker is to provide evening support to First Nation, Inuit, & Métis women who are involved or at risk of becoming involved in the sex trade.
- Reporting directly to the Shelter Director, you will work as part of a 2-person outreach team.
- Provide information, assistance and advocacy to First Nation, Inuit, & Métis women who are homeless or street involved
- Assist First Nation, Inuit, & Métis in times of crisis and ensure they have access to appropriate community support
- Outreach must have good knowledge of all community resources both Indigenous and mainstream including shelter services, food banks, soup kitchens and drop in centres
- Outreach support includes referrals to services that provide front line and emergency medical treatment, housing, and legal treatment resources
- Work in cooperation with existing community outreach projects to ensure effective service delivery
- Outreach will attend drop in centres, food banks and other community services to connect with women and to introduce new women to these service providers
- Provide resources to women
- Maintain confidential log of contacts and services
- Attend staff, community and other meetings as requested by Shelter Director
- Prepare resource information and materials for distribution to clients
- Replenish resources
- Petty cash replenishment and reconciliation.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent experience, with at least 2 years’ experience working with an urban Aboriginal community.
- Knowledge of the Indigenous and non-Indigenous service system in Ottawa-Carleton.
- Knowledge of programs and supports offered throughout the Ottawa region.
- Excellent knowledge of the intergenerational impacts of residential schools.
- A strong analysis of the sex trade, homelessness and substance use amongst First Nations, Inuit & Métis women.
- First Nation, Inuit, Métis, or non-status
- Current Criminal Records Check
- Valid CPR/First Aid
- Must have a clean driver’s abstract
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Evening and some weekend work required
Send a cover letter, resume and 3 references to – Kate Holden-Finance/Human Resources Minwaashin Lodge, 2323 St Laurent Blvd, Ottawa, Ontario K1G 4J8
or email to: email@example.com