Do you have a love of food and community?
Would you like to work in a busy kitchen and learn to prepare food from comfort to elegant?
Are you positive and energetic with a willingness to do every duty in the kitchen?
Wabano is seeking positive, community-minded team members who are energized by challenge and motivated to serve our community.
The Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health is an award-winning Health Access Centre that provides holistic health services to First Nation, Inuit and Métis people living in Ottawa – one of the fastest growing and diverse urban Indigenous communities in Canada. Wabano is a fast-paced, client-oriented organization that models the Indigenous values of balance, respect and community interdependence. Wabano is proud to be accredited through the Canadian Centre for Accreditation, a third-party review based on accepted organizational practices that promote ongoing quality improvement and responsive, effective community services.
Purpose of Position
The Cook will cook and prepare food for Wabano programs and events as well as assist in all areas of the kitchen.
The cook will follow recipes to cook high-quality meals and snacks for groups of various sizes, including events of up to 150 people (once the COVID restrictions are lifted). The cook’s responsibilities will include the following:
- Cook items on the menu for Wabano programs;
- Work with the events team to create a high-quality dining experience for guests renting Wabano space;
- Ensure that all materials are available and/or purchased for the day of the event;
- Do food inventory and help manage usage of food;
- Direct a small team of paid and/or volunteer cooks (for events);
- Ensure that the meals are prepared to a high-standard and served on time;
- Contribute to menu planning and recipe creation;
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of the kitchen, including surfaces, stove tops, sinks, ovens, machinery, cooking implements and utensils and cleaning up any spills or messes on the floor if generated by the preparation of food.
- Completion of post secondary education in culinary program;
- 5 years of experience cooking fine dining for large numbers of people (more than 20);
- Maintains current Food Handlers Certificate;
- Ability to work independently and in a team and have food ready in a timely manner;
- Must be able to stand for long periods;
- Must be able to perform duties including: stooping, bending, moving arms, lifting up to 50 pounds, using proper lifting, pushing, and pulling techniques;
- Must have taken WHMIS training and be able to use an SDS sheet and use designated cleaning chemicals for cleaning kitchen surfaces, sinks, stove tops and ovens;
- Able to perform work in a safe and sanitary manner;
- Proven attendance record and reliability;
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends in order to cater scheduled events.
- Preference will be given to Indigenous candidates (First Nations, Inuit or Métis);
- Please indicate in your cover letter if you are interested in the full-time or part-time opportunity along with your availability.
- Successful applicants will be required to submit a criminal reference check;
- First Aid/CPR
To pursue this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume by to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Wabano is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity or interviewing, please advise if you require accommodation.