Oct 25, 2022
Inuuqatigiit Centre for Inuit Children, Youth and Families
Family and Social Services
Inuuqatigiit Centre for Inuit Children, Youth and Families is a multi service non- profit organization serving Inuit children, youth, and their families. We are dedicated to providing cultural, educational, and support services in a caring, respectful, and collaborative environment that fosters strong and proud Inuit children and families.
Under the supervision of the Early Years Manager, this position plans and delivers a high quality and culturally based Early Years program.
37.5 hours – Monday-Friday (may be scheduled for hours between 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with occasional evening and weekend hours)
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide a stimulating, caring and culturally appropriate early learning environment for children ages 0-6 years
- Share in the responsibility for planning, preparing, and implementing curriculum to foster development in all developmental domains using a variety of group and individual activities
- Recognize and respond to the needs of each child by using developmentally appropriate teaching and child behaviour guidance and strategies
- Participate fully and consistently as a team member in caring for the children and in the overall operation of the program centre
- Complete weekly program and outdoor plans to be posted in the classroom and distributed to parents monthly
- Be familiar with and follow the Early Years annual workplans
- Be familiar with How Does Learning Happen document
- Observe, monitor, and track each child’s individual progress and development in accordance with learning goals the program and Inuuqatigiit Centre’s policies and procedures
- Monitor health, safety, and well-being of children
- Responsible for the constant supervision, safety, and well-being of children in Early Years programs
- Understand and adhere to all regulations of the Early Learning and Child Care Act (e.g. child/staff ratios)
- Comply with all recording and reporting requirements
- Maintain program equipment in good repair and share responsibility for hygiene
- Sanitize toys as required and outlined in policies and procedures.
- Accountable for the well-being of children and staff
- Adheres to Inuuqatigiit Centre’s Early Years Policy and Procedures
- Keeps child, parent, family related information confidential
- May be required to work regular evening and weekend hours related to program activities
- Must demonstrate stress resistance and stamina in caring for young children
- Regular physical activity associated with program activities, ability to access multi- story building
Qualifications and Requirements
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) diploma
- Registration with the Ontario College of ECE
- Minimum one-year experience working with preschool/toddler age children
- Minimum one-year experience working with Inuit or Indigenous communities
- Ability to function effectively in a high stress, high noise environment
- First Aid/CPR certificate (or willingness to become certified) required
- Current Police Record Check – Vulnerable Sector required in keeping with Inuuqatigiit Centre’s Personnel Policies and Procedures
- TB test and other immunizations up-to-date and medical certification of good health
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccine (Dose 1, 2 and Booster)
Skills and Knowledge
- Inuit descent preferred
- Fluency in Inuktitut an asset
- Knowledge of the needs of Inuit children and families
- Knowledge of Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit, culture, and practices
- Knowledge of How Does Learning Happen document
Please apply with a cover letter and up-to-date resume by to: Human Resources Department, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require specific accommodations, please contact the HR Department through the contact information provided above, so that we can make suitable arrangements with you.
When two equally qualified candidates are considered for the same position, preference will be given to the candidate of Inuit descent.
We thank all who apply for this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is dependent upon funding approval.