Makonsag offers a full day, culturally based, licensed early learning and care for 49 children including infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. This is a culture-based program for learning Indigenous traditions, values, and principles - protecting the land and respect for life. There is an onsite cook serving traditional foods and the program is located in a newly renovated building located on Courtwood Ave., off Woodward and Maitland.
Benefits of Working at Makonsag
✓ Work directly in your community with Indigenous children
✓ Continuous opportunities for professional growth
✓ Celebrate cultural teachings and incorporate in program curriculum
✓ Exciting professional development opportunities in Ottawa, Ontario and throughout Canada!
✓ Cultural connections with Indigenous Early Learning community
✓ Competitive salary and benefits
✓ Opportunities to participate in other projects, community outreach and educational environments
In This Role You Will…
- Meet children’s needs for continuance of care, routines, and education in the absence of regular caregiver
- Implement program plans daily as established or modified
- Help set up areas for planned activities and provide a welcoming and nurturing environment
- Observe children’s behaviour and level of participation and advise supervisor of observations, concerns and suggestions if requested
- Attend to physical needs of children
- Assist in maintaining a healthy and safe environment
- Ensure positive communication with parents
To Qualify for this Role, You Have…
- Safe Food Handlers Certificate
- Standard First Aid, including infant and child CPR
- Police record check (vulnerable sector) completed in the last 6 months
- Knowledge of COVID-19 Policies in an Early Years setting;
- Medical certification of good health; TB test and other immunizations up-to-date unless seeking exemption and Proof of COVID-19 vaccine (Dose 1 & 2).
- Previous experience assisting in early learning and care environments or working directly with children
- Demonstrate understanding of licensed group care environment
- Knowledge of Indigenous culture and traditions
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the needs of indigenous children and families
- Proven ability to work closely with other team members
- Sensitivity and respect for individual and cultural differences
- Adequate energy level and ability to meet the physical demands of the job
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, Indigenous language is an asset
- Early Childhood Education diploma or degree from a recognized college or university or equivalent education
Indigenous candidates are encouraged to self- identify. We thank all who apply for this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Should the applicant require any accommodations during the application process please notify Human Resources as per the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.